Skip to main content

tv   Today  NBC  January 19, 2016 2:07am-3:00am EST

2:07 am
if for kathie lee, and do we have a great show or what? >> we have a great show. >> we have a surprise to reveal in a few minutes, and we think it is worth revealing. >> we are so excited about it. and now, we will catch you up on the celebrity buzz moments that happened over to the weekend, and including what happened at the critics award show that has everybody talking. >> also, you loved him on "happy days." >> and plus, a new cookbook by anson williams, potsi from "happy days."kbkb >> 24, pounds, man. >> so you is so show us how to eat in 100-calorie increments. >> yes, and you don't have to beme a physicist to figure out the count. >> you knew that was good for us. >> say this with me. >> and pitch slapped. >> yes. what is happening in the a capella world. >> and your weekend is calmer
2:08 am
>> and how are those babies is? >> well, we went out yesterday and it was snowing. >> and are where is the other little baby this is. >> she is down on the ground. and that is mela. gr >> how cute. i can't handle it. the cute factor. >> and the chill weekend and i am just ----oh. that is not from this weekend, but it is mela's friend cameron and my friend laird and we were all together. and every day that i watch mela and poppy be sisters together makes me so thrilled. so i was traveling so much last week. >> and you hung at home. >> yes, and to be with them and one morning, mela says, hey, you gorgeous girl, to poppy and i thought she would be saying mean things, but it is not me, but the way she is born, and all good.
2:09 am
>> yes, i was sprinting around and d got to meet the virginia tech hokie bird, and that is me and my mom and my friend peggy fox. and my tridelta girls came out. and these young girls came from tennessee to new orleans for a book sign, and they brought liquor, and that is bad that people think that is what they ba should bring. they were cute. but kristen and caitlyn came, and we had so many fun people come out for the book signings, and we were in louisiana tech and lsu and met terry and all over the place. and this girl made a doll. >> i can't handle what is happening. >> yes, and people are so amazing and i want to thank people who came out for the bookok signing. >> and when people ask me about you, and they say is she really as great as she seems on tv. i always say, that your energy
2:10 am
it no big deal, in d.c. and virginia and new orleans in two days. >> yes, we did it and sprinted fast. ri >> and you were loved, too. >> and you know who has more energy than all of us together? betty white who turned 94 to yesterday. happy birthday to betty white. >> she has one of my favorite quotes. >> and she has curse words in it. >> well, i know that some of you have it that it has balls in there -- can we say that? google betty white quotes and balls and you'll see that she's a feminist before her time, , d say. >> she was. she was. >> all right. hoda, i opened up this "us weekly" or "us weekly" however you say it. and i saw you. >> what is snapping. >> my girlfriend said, there is your i girl, hoda. i can't find the page. >> it doesn't matter.
2:11 am
my early morning routine. >> yeah. >> you wakeut up early? >> i get up early, yeah. >> yes, between 3:40 and 4:00. >> brutal. >> ridiculous.nd and why?ru i don't know. because there is some -- >> because you are discipline and you like to get to the gym. >> yes, and this is a green drink that works for me. it is called the green monster? and by the way, she is either drinking this or eating a bunch of doughnut holes. >> it is good. >> and you like to dunk the doughnut holes in the juice. and that's pretty good, celery, spinach, bananas, a couple other things. >> and you like to take your signature shower, and drink the juice and get ready to tape the show. e >> yes. >> and a here is the big announcement, and you have been waiting patiently, and this big. it involves j.lo. it involves j.lo. and you guys, we are headed to las vegas and ceasar palace on
2:12 am
come out, jerry. >> oh, thank you. >> thank you, jer. you are awesome, and we are going behind the new show of j. lo's first show in hollywood,d, the first residency is and it is going to be so much fun and, remember, whatever happens in vegas, it stays in vegas.ns >> unless you do a television show from vegas, because your mother and husband and grandfather could be watching. >> and we also heard a rumor? >> what? >> we also heard that the same time we are there it is the porne convention. so we are scared to death. >> oh, mom. turn off the tv. >> and it is even hard to book flights. o >> i am on not even on your flight, because of so many porn people. >> there are apparently awards and -- y >> it is the oscars of porn. >> i can't believe we picked that week, but it is j.lo's opening, and that is why we are
2:13 am
>> yeah, we can't wait. and we have a revelation about "sex in the city."on and this is not a spoiler alert, because big and carrie ended up together at the end. and the creator said that he did not like the end, because it went against the idea of the show.us and you know how he went to paris and said, let's go get our girl and he goes to paris and saves her. and the creator says that the show ultimately betrayed what it is about that the women don't ultimately find happiness from marriage, and he didn't say anything at the time, because he said that when you are empowering other people to write it. >> he is not that hands on in the end. >> i'd say. >> and we agree and don't agree, and in some ways you want women to be empowered for their own thing, but have to say that i like a happy ending. >> yes. >> i'm getting hot. >> and i feel like big bird. >> and nobody can hear me with b the mike. and we are going the vegas, and
2:14 am
>> so when you think of your significant other, who said "i love you" first. there is a new survey from match.com who said that five months in you should say it. >> and certain things like holding hands within two week, and a, we don't remember, because i don't remember when henry and i held hand, but i do remember. >> the i love you moment. >> yes, at a christmas party and i must have been doing one of the signature moves, and he said "i love you" and i was young and he was young. >> is that dance? >> no, i was are pregnant with my second child. and i said, i love you, too, and i immediately said, let's get married! >> you didid who says that? >> i don't know, my sister was horrified, and she said, do you
2:15 am
and his face said it all. his face said -- because he was just expressing a i think that she's a cute girl, and we were only a month in. >> you saiai let's get married a month in. >> i didn't mean it, but i did mean it, because we have been i together for 11 years, but one thing is that my parents met and were married three months later, and so it kind of it all made relationships strange, like, you don't want to marry me after one year? my dad thinks that i should leave you, and he didn't really think that, but it was a hopeless romantic. >> after three months you should be together. >> yes. and we were. and so, what about you and joel? >> he -- no, he said it first. but i said it right after. >> and you were thrilled. wasn't it such a fun moment?
2:16 am
sister's wedding. >> karen is your best friend. >> yes, they were all at the rehearsal dinner and we weren't, and we were at a fire, and he said it, and i remember looking at him and i had tears coming up on the, and he said, don't leave me hanging, and he was like, no? i just wanted to settle in, and you know how you want to mark the moment, and i said that this moment is happening right now and it is beautitil. >> and you know, too, what people do in vegas is they get married. , , >> what? >> well, there is like an elvis chapel and people get married. >> what are you saying? >> well, i am just saying that if anybody here is dating anybody that they love, you know. there is a lot of chapels. >> i wonder if joanne is put you up to anything, and we have some auction winners coming to see us.
2:17 am
ththguy's tellall. don't forget, if you have any questions if to klg -- are you serious? >> no, and i am sweating. >> and i am sweating, too. >> and you should be. >> and we have a lot coming upup after the break, and we love them and you will, too, and jenna will show you some of our e favorite things. >> and what? did justin bieber get
2:18 am
what, the dinosaur? hey, guys. it is time for today's buzz and a wrap up of all of celebrity headlines that you may have missed over the the weekend. >> and what, another awards show? >> and they are still doing a more awards shows? i hadn't heard. and critics choice awards, and let's talk about acting wins, because brie larson from "the
2:19 am
and this young actor award 9 years old, and i will just let it speak for itself, because it is cuter than cute. take a look. >> i just want to thank you to all of the critics who voted for me. and it must be a super hard vote because of all of the great actors in the category. also want to thank "team room" who is lenny, emma, brie, ed and all the other producers over there. i want to also thank my parents, because i love them very much. and i know where to put in, right on the shelf beside my falcon. >> isn't that adorable?
2:20 am
better than adults. >> and he said that the movie came true because everyone worked together. i love the charm. >> and what other moments there? >> and speaking of charm, amy schumer. >> okay. >> amy schumer won the mvp award which is like we like you. >> okay. >> and she talked about why she writes her own material, because she had to do that to get "train wrecked" and this is why she writes her own material. >> and if you are an actress here, you have to write your own stuff if you want to make it made. this is where i get brave after the annie leibovitz photo, and that is is what you want everybody to say when you have a naked photo of you going viral, and you want everybody to say, what a brave photo. wow. thank you. >> and you know that photo where she posed a little bit -- >> well, i love her so much, because she is hilarious.
2:21 am
>> and frankly, anybody who sits like this, and she is going to look like that anyway,y,nd she is great and hilarious. anyway. >> and hair. >> speaking of hair, and will forte does a show called "last man on earth" and he went to an event the other night, and look at what he did. it is striking. >> odd to say the least. >> that is him with half of the head shaved and even the eyebrow and even half of it, and when is the last time we talked about will on the buzz? well, shave half of the head, and we will. >> and we had will on the show, and we wanted to know how many things to shove into the beard, different things. >> that is really gross. >> and we put pencils and paper clips to show how big the beard is. >> i had no idea it was real. >> and we can't do one buzz without talking about the biebs. >> yes, and biebs gave himself the mermaid do, and he posted a couple of selfies, and look at
2:22 am
it looks like he put a shirt on the legs. and you remember gordon cantrel. and then he posted another one half naked saying, look at the purple hair and the rest of me. that is what he did. and the roommate's look is kind of trending right now. >> and let's talk about david bowie and sad passing, but he is at the top of the charts. >> yes, he had just released "black stars." it is number one on the charts. he has ten albums in the top 40. a testatant to his immense talent. and this is the "black star" video which is foretelling. and he knew where he was in his
2:23 am
incredible man and talent. >> and "saturday night live" had a nice tribute to him. >> and yes, fred armisen came back and talked about when he was in high school he watched david bowie perform on snl, and nbc.com. and before gaga, people were watching david bowie. >> thank you, johnny. and one lucky viewer is going to get a chance to win a fabulous trip when we spin the globe. >> and it may be you. >> yeah. and how to get the most of your makeup and make it last a very, very long time. enough pressure in here for ya? ugh. my sinuses are killing me. yeah...just wait 'til we hit ten thousand feet. i'm gonna take mucinex sinus-max. too late, we're about to take off. these dissolve fast. they're new liquid gels. and you're coming with me... wait, what?! you realize i have gold status? do i still get the miles? new mucinex sinus-max liquid gels. dissolves fast to unleash max strength medicine. start the relief. ditch the misery. let's end this. here in the city, parking is hard to find. seems like everyone drives.
2:24 am
because you could save hundreds on car insurance. ah, perfect. valet parking. hello! here's the keys. and, uh, go easy on my ride, mate. hm, wouldn't mind some of that beef wellington... to see how much you could save on car insurance, go to geico.com. ah! (car alarm sounds)
2:25 am
now it is time to surprise our fan of the week. and we are going to spin the globe and it has landed in dover plains, new york, where our
2:26 am
wnbc channel 4. who is with you? >> hi, robert. >> is that the your daughter, mckenzie? >> yes. >> and hi, mckenzie. >> all right. robert, before we put you to the test with some trivia, let's tell everyone why you were chosen. >> robert is a volunteer emt firefighter and honored to help those in need to save lives and he is recovering from knee surgery, and he is spending time with little mckenzie. >> and he says that the joy from the show is speeding up the healing process, and his favorite part is when we dress up for halloween. and he loves spending every single moment with us -- >> besides those with little mckenzie. >> all right. we will give you the trivia question, you have 15 seconds and if you answer it right -- hi, mckenzie. and if you answer it right, you get a prize. >> and here we go. >> all right. >> for this past halloween, kathie lee and i dressed up as a famous duo. was it "lavern & shirley," mario
2:27 am
snoopy? >> woodstock and snoopy. >> yes. >> yeah, robert, that's right. you have won a four nights and three nights at a cascade south beach, and also dinner for two at the red ginger and of course the round trip airfare is on us. >> robert, you have to watch us from the vacation, okay? >> absolutely. >> all right. >> who is going with you, robert? do you know? >> probably with mckenzie. >> all right. >> and probably with mckenzie. >> thank you, robert. bye, mckenzie. >> bye, robert. >> don't you hate it when you are almost out of the favorite lipstick and you don't have the time to replace it? well, we will have a solution for, that and we will get more bang for the buck in the makeup segment coming up. >> and happy days are here again, and we will head to the
2:28 am
weather. oh my gosh, stephanie. we're, like, so goth. we're, like, goth goth. sfx: knocks on door. honey? i'm dying my hair, mom. hair dye? no, not in my bathroom! relax, mom. honey, just let me in! sfx: door rattling. no. tiffany! no. tiffany! it's just purple. teenage daughter? get scrubbing bubbles. kill 99.9% of germs and destroy dirt and grime. you only need scrubbing bubbles disinfecting cleaners for 100% problem solved. we wororhard, so you don't have to. sc johnson, a family company. there's a more enjoyable way to get your fiber. try phillips' fiber good gummies plus energy support. it's a new fiber supplement that helps support regularity and includes b vitamins to help convert food to energy. mmmmm, these are good! nice work, phillips! the tasty side of fiber, from phillips'. ough, cough] mimi? janet? cough h you can hear me. don't even think about it. i took mucinex dm for my phlegmy cough. yeah...but what about mike? he has that dry scratchy thing going on. guess what? it works on his cough too.
2:29 am
what? stop! don't pull me! spoiler alert! she doesn't make it! only mucinex dm relieves bothwet and dry coughs for 12 hours with two medicines in one pill. start the relief. ditch the misery. let's end this. (cell phone rings) where are you? well the squirrels are back in the attic. mom? your dad won't call an exterminator... can i call you back, mom? he says it's personal this time... if you're a mom, you call at the worst time. it's what you do. if you want to save fifteen percent or more on car insurance,, you switch to geico. it's what you do.
2:30 am
are you taking a zumba class? hi. >> surprise. >> we have it. it is funday monday and have you ever dropped your eye shadow on the bathroom floor and it cracked in a million pieces.
2:31 am
and you're using an old, clumpy mascara because you don't have time to buy a new one? >> well, we have our expert here to help us revive our makeup and use the last bit of something they want to stretch. and so this is a smart segment for people who have the last bit of something that they want to stretch it. >> and it is perfect for us. >> and especially, i am so super depressed when the lipstick is at the bottom. so you can make it last longer by making it into a lip gloss. so you take a knife and put it into a spoon of petroleum jelly. >> brilliant. >> and put it in there and mush it around. >> and moutiala, you are a genius. >> and you put right there. >> and oh, wow. >> look at that. >> watch. this is like more of a sheer one, but you can put more
2:32 am
>> genius. >> and in is brilliant, and puts on like a sheer gloss, and you can also make it into a blush. look at that. >> and it is beautiful. >> it worked. >> and you is a clump right there, but it is a awesome. >> if you freeze it, it is a balm. >> and what if we dropped something that shattered on the bathroom floor. that happens about once a week. >> rubbing alcohol, and i do eight to ten drop, and you take it, and apply it directly on to the shadow or the blush or whatever it is. >> that can save it? >> i use the finger to mush it around and then people want to know if it is safe, but it is doing to evaporate. >> and it is the same texture? >> oh, yeah, i always use my finger, but you can. >> look at that that. >> moutiala, wow. >> and the bronzer, and you can use a brush to get it on, right?
2:33 am
>> and if you crumble it up, and put it in moisturizer, you can put it in directly, and if you want to put it directly into the actual compact for travel, smush it around, and put it in like this. >> more. >> and what i do is to put it in the tupperware, because when your legs are pasty, i do this to make it a nice glow on the legs. >> and look at how pretty this is. >> and that is genius. >> and you are not buying those expensive things. >> and i also use it for contouring. >> and clumpy mascara and dry mascara is the worst. put it in warm or hot water, and then you put it in. >> the whole tube? >> yes, and let it sit for two to three minutes, and then it is like brand-new, i am not kidding.
2:34 am
>> but if you don't want to wait two to the three minutes, you can use the saline solution directly in there and mix it. >> and now at some point, you do have to get rid of the mascara though? i have some that is five years old. >> no, no, no don't use it. every three months. >> and perfume? >> and you know when it is at the bottom and it does not spray anymore? >> yes. >> and you put it in the the fragrance lotion, and make a scented moisturizer. >> and you can give them as gifts, too. >> i don't know about that. >> hey, here is my leftover perfume and lotion. >> and that is a great idea. >> it is genius. >> and it is not too perfumey. >> and we would like it. >> and we like it. thank you so much. and anson is going to help us with some meals for under 100
2:35 am
>> and he is going to show us some tricks to the perfect portion. >> potsie has lost some weight. >> look at how cute he looks. you get a cold. you can't breathe through your nose. suddenly, you're a mouthbreather. a mouthbreather! how can anyone sleep like that? well, just put on a breathe right strip and pow! it instantly opens your nose up to 38% more than cold medicinenelone. so you can breathe and sleep. shut your mouth and say goodnight mouthbreathers. breathe right ugh! heartburn! no one burns on my watch! try alka-seltzer heartburn reliefchews. they work fast and don't taste chalky. mmm...amazing. i have heartburn. alka-seltzer heartburn reliefchews.
2:36 am
we are so excited because today's food team found something special on the shelf. >> and if you were a kid growing up in the '70s, you u unted the gang of "happy days" among your friends. >> it starred ron howard and anson williams, potsie, which is a show that ran over a decade, and it seemed longer than that, it showcased life during the '50s and '60s. >> and hello. >> i am having so much fun. >> and we are having a blast, and he is going to be teaching
2:37 am
perfect portion." how to eat healthy and stay fit. >> and you say it is all about your philosophy. >> because you were 40 pounds overweight. >> no, 24 pounds overweight. and so i was on set and directing a lot. and i am directing "secret life of the american teenager" and they would have doughnuts and cheese fries, and i will take a little bit of this and that, and then bam! >> when you are not working, it is mindless eating. i will go into the refridge and get grated cheese and i am like, eat it. who am i and why did that happen? >> i love the eat. and eating is a big part of what i love. and why can't i eat the fabulous comfort foods, but i need some portion control, and to be satisfied.
2:38 am
this cookbook is 100 calories. >> yes, and it is exact. lasagna, and meatloaf and chicken pot pie. >> show us! >> let us show you this one here. >> bob and mona right there, and they made it work. this is bob's mom chicken pot pie, and here are the particular ingredients here, all natural. you the pastry puff. >> you buy it from the store. >> and you cut it into 32 sections there, and you do it, because i am not coordinated and i ain't doing it. we love the word ain't. oh, my gosh. >> my mom doesn't like the word ain't, but. >> that is perfect. >> and then what do you do? >> here it is, you have it cut out, and you egg wash them. you know. grab a little bit -- >> do you like cooking by the way? >> yes, because bob and mona taught me and i love it and my
2:39 am
and then you put it in the oven for ten minutes for 400 degrees and you put that on. >> and you don't need the whole thing. >> and yes, that is it, so for the chicken pot pie instead of the whole big crust, you do the number of croutons which is more satisfying. all right. then we come over here, and not just vegetable, but you do the roasted vegetables which brings out the taste. we have carrots. >> is that hicima. >> yes, i love that hicima. >> and we roast this for 20 minutes at 400 degrees, so it comes out this way. and you brown the chicken. >> all white meat? >> you prefer white or can you use brown? >> i prefer white. i find it better tasting.
2:40 am
most delicious chicken pot pie. and then you add the mushrooms. >> and you cooked wit a little olive oil? >> yes, and the onions and the flour and the sauce with the tomato paste. >> it is all happening here. >> that looks good. >> well, i am getting it all over my finger here. >> that is what it is for. and so then we have a little bit of the lemon juice. soy. >> and what about this? skim milk? >> yes. and that is how you can make it creamy without the calories. >> yes. >> and the broth. could you do the soy milk or the almond milk if you are not dairy. >> yes. >> andndhe yummy stuff. >> and we need the carrots, and the peas. >> yes, the peas and carrots right there. >> and we have to eat this. >> we are going to try it. >> and you said that this is 100 -- >> let me show you how wonderful the portions are. okay. this is a dinner portion. i hope that we can get this. this is a dinner portion.
2:41 am
>> that is crazy. >> i want you to taste this. i want to really have you taste this. this is for lunch, a 300 calorie portion. >> and we didn't get the cocoa. we want to get there. >> and how delicious. >> yes. >> and perfect 100 calorie portion. >> and anson, thank you so much, and we appreciate it. if you want to check out the recipe go to the today.com/food. >> and they may be rivals in real life, but the a capellas of pitch slapped have teamed up for
2:42 am
after this. check this out, bro. what's that, broheim? i switched to geico and got more. more savings on car insurance? yeah bro-fessor, and more. like renters insurance. more ways to save. nice, bro-tato chip. that's not all, bro-tein shake. geico has motorcycle and rv insurance, too. oh, that's a lot more.
2:43 am
geico. expect great savings and a whole lot more. i'm here at my house, on thanksgiving day and i have a massive heart attack right in my driveway. the doctor put me on a bayer aspirin regimen. be sure to talk to your doctor before you begin an aspirin regimen. go talk to your doctor.
2:44 am
the citi concert series on "today" is proudly presented to you. >> okay. oh, my gosh, we are ready for the harmony on because we have the gang from, say it right. pitch slapped in the house.
2:45 am
jersey battling against each other in weekly matches and let's just say that the competition is fierce. >> and is it ever. and the music director for "pitch perfect" and now the director of pitch slapped. a ananso give us a quick l lk at this. >> give us a quick ten seconds on the show. >> well, it is a look inside of a capella, and when you see "glee" or "pitch perfect" you willllee how pitch perfect is created. >> and how does it work? >> we will be singing "walk on sunshine." >> all right. >> ready? oh, yeah i used to think that maybe you
2:46 am
now baby i'm sure because i just can't wait for the day when you knock on my door now every time i go to the mailbox gotta hold myself down oh yay yay because i just can't wait until you write me to tell me you are coming around i'm walking on sunshine well, i'm walking on sunshine well i'm walking on sunshine well don't it feel good and don't it feel good i used to think that maybe you loved me but now i know it is true but i don't want to spend my
2:47 am
you no, i don't want you back for the weekend or back for a day oh, no, no, no i said baby i just want you back and i want you to stay i'm walking on sunshine well, i'm walking on sunshine well, i'm walking on sunshine well and don't it feel good hey all right now don't it feel good now hey all right now i feel alive i feel alive i feel alive i feel alive and don't it feel good >> yes, yes! what is your name? >> vanessa. >> all right. >> ashley. >> dan. >> and you guys are awesome.
2:48 am
>> you are so much fun. it is almost time for us to share our favorite things. we are so excited, but you are going to have to wait.
2:49 am
nbc. we are back with our favorite things. a nice lady gave me something at the book signing, and these are chocolate covered oreos, and they are from a place called picayune, mississippi.
2:50 am
>> i love that. >> and $18 for a six pack, and here it is. oh. >> sweet creations.wyx.com, and go to our website. probably easier to find. >> and they're really, really good. >> this is something that you cannot buy, but mom friend, and i'm so lucky and the one thing that i found out unexpected about having kids is a new group of moms that have come into my lives. my friend savannah and we worked out last week, and that is vail and poppy. and if you don't havavany, go to the local coffee shop. they are all off. >> and actor and singer vanessa hudgins is here, and if you love "grease," you are going to love the show. >> and we will have a panel with the all male perspective. >> and don't forget we are going
2:51 am
night. >> we are preparing and drink ing the coconut milk right now. >> this is really good. make you money. i'm here to level the playing field for all investors. there's always a bull market somewhere, and i promise to help you find it. "mad money" starts now. hey, i'm cramer. welcome to "mad money." welcome to cramerica. my job is not just to entertain
2:52 am
2:53 am
2:54 am
2:55 am
2:56 am
2:57 am
2:58 am
2:59 am

8 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on